When it comes to the world of sports, few activities test your physical and mental skills quite like tennis.
Regrettably, if you’ve played the game for a long time, you’re probably familiar with “tennis elbow”, an injury to the common tendon on the outer side of the elbow joint. Also called “radial nerve palsy”, tennis elbow is a type of tendinosis that generally happens because of overuse of your wrist and lower arm muscles. Unfortunately, tennis elbow is one of the most common conditions — and painful conditions — in all of sports medicine.
If you have ever suffered from tennis elbow, you understand how agonizing and aggravating it may be. Oftentimes, this painful problem is not really taken very seriously until it starts to interfere with your daily activities and personal routines.
It can even cause chronic pain that makes you quit some of your best-loved activities if left untreated. As you might imagine, identifying the symptoms at an early stage is crucial in facilitating a quick recovery process with little to no irreversible harm.
Thankfully, there’s a quick and easy answer to this ailment: Shockwave treatment. Not only is this treatment fast and successful, it likewise does not involve surgical treatment or substantial healing time. If you struggle with tennis elbow and wish for a way to get back on the court again quickly, continue reading to discover everything you want to know about shockwave treatment for tennis elbow.
What is Shockwave Therapy?
Shockwave treatment (also called “Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy”) is a procedure for tennis elbow, persistent tendon injuries, and various other joint or muscle injuries. Shockwave therapy is a non-invasive procedure that is employed to alleviate tennis elbow through using high frequency acoustic waves, which are turned into compact pressure waves that travel into the tissues.
These sound waves make tiny rips in the tendon near the elbow, which triggers new collagen to grow and restore the tendon, leading to lessened pain and increased range of motion. It also stimulates blood flow in the affected tendon.
How Exactly Does Shockwave Therapy Correct Tennis Elbow?
As we’ve just mentioned, shockwave therapy makes use of high-intensity acoustic waves to enter the body. The acoustic waves utilized in shockwave therapy are very comparable to those used during an ultrasound scan. The difference between them is that ultrasound waves have a considerably longer wavelength than shockwave treatment waves. Shockwave treatment waves are significantly shorter and higher in frequency, meaning they can saturate deeper into the tissue.
As soon as these acoustic waves have entered, they create little tears in the soft tissue or tendon near the elbow, which causes new collagen to develop and mend the tendon, resulting in lessened pain and increased movement. The treatment is applied with a wand-like tool that restricts the shockwave treatment to just the area impaired by tennis elbow.
The Advantages of Shockwave Treatment for Tennis Elbow
Shockwave treatment for tennis elbow delivers many different benefits when compared with other therapies, including:
- Successful Treatment: Shockwave treatment is a proven, effective treatment for tennis elbow. Healing percentages after shockwave therapy for tennis elbow surpass 95% for reduced pain.
- No Surgical Procedure Involved: Lots of people are afraid to try any sort of treatment for tennis elbow that requires surgery, which can cause a hold-up in treatment. Luckily, shockwave therapy for tennis elbow doesn’t require surgical treatment; rather, it is an entirely non-surgical treatment.
- No Major Side Effects: Shockwave treatment for tennis elbow has extremely few adverse effects and can be utilized as a therapy for a range of disorders, including tennis elbow. The only documented side effects of shockwave therapy are light pain and swelling or inflammation at the treatment site.
- Brief Treatment Period: Shockwave therapy for tennis elbow is a quick-acting treatment that may be administered over a number of one-hour sessions. This fast-paced treatment period helps ensure your tennis elbow doesn’t continue any longer than definitely necessary.
Just How Much Does Shock Wave Treatment Cost?
Shockwave treatment for tennis elbow comes at a cost, as shockwave therapy expenses can differ depending upon the kind of facility you go to and your insurance policies.
Unlike other tennis elbow treatments, like injections, braces, and rehabilitation exercises, shockwave treatment doesn’t always necessitate any out-of-pocket costs. If you have health insurance, you may visit your healthcare provider to see if they cover tennis elbow treatments, including shockwave therapy.
If you don’t have health insurance coverage, you can still check out a shockwave therapy facility to get treatment. The cost of the procedure will fluctuate depending upon the health clinic you check out. You can additionally see about any payment arrangements or financial assistance programs provided by the provider to help make the therapy more cost effective.
How to Choose a Qualified Shockwave Treatment Provider?
Much like any other health-related service, it is important to select a qualified shockwave treatment provider. Before making a visit with a specific physiotherapy centre, make sure it is licensed and use these standards when choosing a shockwave treatment provider:
- Experience: The most efficient method to determine a shockwave therapy professional’s experience is by simply asking them about the experience of the professionals who may be treating you. You may also want to check online to discover if any of the providers have been evaluated by other clients.
- Experience With Tennis Elbow: The best shockwave therapy professionals will also have previous experience treating tennis elbow and other kinds of tendinitis and accidental injuries.
- Other Solutions: Make sure the facility you select delivers more than just shockwave therapy. Some centers additionally deliver physical treatment and other treatments that may help your tennis elbow recover sooner.
Final Thoughts: Is Shockwave Treatment Right For You?
If you’re experiencing tennis elbow and are seeking a means to treat the discomfort rapidly and with no surgery, shockwave therapy might be the perfect therapy for you. Get in touch with Gage Physiotherapy and Foot Clinic for more information about shockwave therapy for tennis elbow and to set up an appointment.
Give the team of Hamilton experienced physiotherapists at Gage Physiotherapy & Foot Clinic a call soon and we can begin alleviating the pain of tennis elbow and improving your quality of life. Now scheduling new clients!